Week 5




Among the reading material this week I found Less Teachingand More Learning by Susan Gaer most useful and involving. Her step by step description of how she first tried out project-based learning (PBL) is a nice guide with useful tips. Generally I find PBL very productive and beneficial in many ways, the main one being the fact that it promotes learner autonomy. I think it allows to make the best use of WWW in teaching. 

WebQuest is another tool, a form of PBL which follows a fairly specific pattern. Unlike PBL, it is built around resources previously selected by the teacher and does not as much aim at learner autonomy. However, it helps to develop creative and critical thinking, problem solving and other useful skills. We have an optional task this week, which involves creating our webquest. On zunal.com there are examples. I explored some of them closely and would really like to create one myself. I do hope I’ll fit in time to meet the deadline this week. If not, I’ll certainly try the tool out later.

One of the elements of a webquest is rubric. I have used this alternative assessment tool a few times before, though after reading Alternative Assessment, I found out some new information about it. There are four main types of rubrics: holistic, analytic, primary trait and multitrait and each of them is suitable for particular context and needs.  Icing on the cake was RubiStar using which it is possible to create a rubric in around 30 minutes. It provides ready-made categories with appropriate text though it is also possible to add you own. I created one for a class debate where I think I could also add a category for 'body language'. I think RubiStar is a real must have.

At the half way of the course I have learnt many practical skills and explored useful tools, which I can’t wait to put in practice.


 

Comments

  1. Hi Nino,

    I too love the article by Gaer. The examples she discusses really ignite new ideas and ways to implement PBL. This article is foundational to PBL in my opinion. I'm glad you liked it too.

    Regarding the extra task to create a Webquest, you can do that at any point before the end of the course, it is not limited to week 5. If you would like to create one, please do, and share it on our class wiki.

    I think we all have shared enthusiasm regarding Rubistar. It is such a convenient tool that guides you in incorporating all the necessary categories for a given task. We can ensure that our assessing is representative of our expectations when we use rubrics, and Rubistar definitely aids in creating rubrics quickly and effectively.

    Thanks for sharing your reflections of week 5 in a clear, concise post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney,

    I love to get your feedback:)

    I was so much impressed by PBL that was going to use it in my final project but after giving some more thought to it I've decided to concentrate on the issue which which suits my students' needs best at this moment. However, I will do it at the end of the term.

    As for creating a Webquest, I'm glad to know I can still do it. Actually, I have already made a draft and will soon share the link of the final thing on our wiki.

    Thanks for your support and encouragement.

    Nino

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment